Suspended Floral Thanksgiving Table Design
Table Design & Styling: The Interior Collective | Photography: Madeline Harper
Per usual, we’ve pulled out all the stops with loads of styling inspiration, a step-by-step floral tutorial, a cider-infused cocktail recipe, and a jazz-inspired playlist. It’s everything you need for a well-appointed celebration with a table that invites guests to linger long after dessert.
The Thanksgiving Table Design
The inspiration behind this Thanksgiving table design was all about drawing the eyes upward while freeing up space for food, serveware, and decor. Plus, it allows for conversation to flow across the table organically. As the most artistic look of our table design series, we wanted this setting to feel really elevated but well-edited—formal but not overdone.
Beneath our hanging floral installation, we layered in our favorite Beeswax Pillar Candles from The Beeswax Co. in a mix of sizes for visual interest. These candles are an all-natural, renewable resource with a slower burn time than other waxes. They give off a very subtle honey scent and add a feeling of effortless warmth in neutral earth tones.
Another element that made this table special was the addition of heirloom flatware that once belonged to Anastasia’s grandmother. The flatware paired beautifully with our CB2 Eve Coupe glasses and brought so much meaning to the setting.
- Apple Cider
- Cranberries (for garnish)
- Pour 1/2 cup (4 oz) fresh apple cider into a champagne coup
- Add 1/2 cup (4 oz) Prosecco, Cava or Champagne
- Garnish with a chilled cranberry
The DIY: Hanging Floral Installation
- Chicken Wire
- Wire Cutters
- Floral Sheers
- Florals + Greenery (a variety of your choice)
- Start by taking 20 inches of chicken wire and cutting it off the chicken wire roll using the wire cutters
- Shape the chicken wire into a cylinder shape
- Secure the chicken wire by folding loose wires back onto itself creating a “hook”
- Cut an additional 2 circles of chicken wire approximately 8 inches in diameter each
- Attach these to the end of the cylinder on either side, forming log shape
- Tie twine to both ends of the chickenwire cylinder
- Secure the other ends of the twine to adjacent trees, or cup hooks in ceiling if hanging indoors
- Trim away leaves up 8 inches on each stem
- Beginning with your largest branches first, weave the branches through the chicken wire cage working from the bottom to the top
- Continue weaving branches through the wire cage, rotating to all sides, filling in any empty areas
- Once all branches have been added, carefully insert blooms in small clusters
- After all florals have been added, hoist the arrangement up (it likely sunk from the weight) and re-secure it 28 inches above the table top
Note: As an alternative, we came across this Over-the-Table Rod by Terrain that would work beautifully for a hanging floral installation, both indoors and out. The adjustable rod (available in matte black and gold) clamps directly onto your table, simplifying the DIY process even further.
A well-designed table is one part of the equation to a warm gathering, and a great playlist is another. We suggest putting on our Jazzy Thanksgiving Spotify playlist, filled with over three hours of music for lingering conversation around the table. You’ll find artists like John Legend, Leon Bridges, and Shannon Lauren Callihan, to name a few.
Keep an eye out parts two and three in our Thanksgiving table design series publishing later this week. We’ll walk you through our takes on both rustic and fall harvest-inspired settings, with an emphasis on intentionality through every detail.
Shop the Look
BY: ANASTASIA CASEY
PREVIOUS POST >